To view this week’s notices please click on this link:
To view this weeks notices please click on this link:
“This image, of a reflection of sunset in a shattered mirror by New York photographer Bing Wright, speaks to me of how the sunshine of new democracy (in South Africa) is fractured and how through what has happened in KZN has left many broken lives in its wake.”
~ Mike Vorster
“We are living with a dark shadow at the moment over our beloved KZN province, especially in Ethekwini and surrounds”, writes the Bishop of the Natal Coastal District of the Methodist Church of Southern Africa, Rev Mike Vorster, in the context of the current Xenophobic/Afro-phobic violence in South Africa, particlarly the Kwa-Zulu Natal Province (KZN).
As a response to present events the Natal Coastal District Office of the Methodist Church offers some practical ways of engaging with the current Xenophobic/Afro-phobic attacks:
- Should you hear of any Xenophobic/Afro-phobic attacks or rumours contact Metro Police Hotline 031 3610000 and SAPS 10111.
- Be part of pastoral visits and prayer with displaced persons – call the District office 031 2023662 for more information.
- Give food and clothing – phone Hazel at the District office 031 2023662 for guidance.
- Engage in promoting dialogue between locals and those from other parts of Africa. Keep listening for differing perspectives.
- Pray every day at noon for peace.
- Continue to consider and analyse the root causes of these attacks. Work for a just peace which benefits all.
Should you like to respond locally in Westville please feel free to drop off items of clothing and non-perishable food or contact our office (+27 31 2665222) for more information.
Image: Broken Mirror/Evening Sky by Bing Wright from http://www.bingwright.com/